2.23.2006

letter to Great Lakes Brewing Company urging them not to serve bunnies as food

I just heard about this yesterday at the Ohio House Rabbit Society web page. Great Lakes Brewing Company (a local Cleveland restaurant, but their award-winning beer is sold all over) has been serving rabbit dishes at special events. And why wouldn't they....nothing says 'celebration' like skinning & devouring a bunny rabbit, right? Oh, it makes me sick. Anyway, here's the letter.

February 23, 2006

Kami Dolney

Marketing Coordinator
Great Lakes Brewing Company
2516 Market Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

RE: Rabbits being served as food at special events


Dear Ms. Dolney:

I have recently been made aware of the fact that your restaurant is serving rabbit at special events. Please know that rabbits are the third most popular family pet after dogs and cats, and that many people will be outraged to hear of rabbits being served as food.

For my part, although I have been a loyal customer for years, I will no longer be dining in your restaurant or purchasing your beer while this regrettable policy continues. I will also be spreading the word to as many people as I can, urging them to boycott as well.

I've always respected Great Lakes for having a decent number or vegetarian and vegan items available, but to say that serving rabbits as food negates those efforts is a huge understatement. Rabbits are playful, inquisitive, and affectionate family pets. They can even be litter box trained. To encourage people to consume the flesh of these adorable creatures is morally equivalent to encouraging them to eat a cat or dog. Please consider banning rabbit dishes from your menu.

Sincerely,




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home