10.30.2008

Bunny Profile: Herman!




















Name: Herman
Nickname: ‘Shmellow, ‘Shmel (short for Marshmellow)
Gender: male (neutered of course!)
Color: Albino, white with pink eyes
Size: Medium, 7lb range
Identifying characteristics: Scar on right ear, tiny scar on nose
Behavior: Super friendly, active and curious
Other info: He’s a biter! Some people confuse all biting with aggression, but super friendly and intelligent bunnies like Herman actually use it as a form of communication. Herman has bitten me to tell me all sorts of things: scratch my head, clean my pen, hurry up with that parsley! Bunny communication bites are quick little nips, and rarely break the skin. Doesn’t mean they don’t hurt though! We are working with Herman to teach him better ways to communicate.

Herman’s story:
This guy is, I have to admit, one of my favorites. Of course Dave says they are all my favorites. But Herman is special, even among favorites. He’s a truly dominant animal, which can be both a thrilling and a frightening thing to see. When he first arrived with the first group of Bunny Bunch buns, his demeanor was different from all the little buns hunched terrified in their carriers. He was stretched out, so chilled I had to keep checking to make sure he was alive! Unlike the other buns, he was unflappable from the start. Didn’t mind being handled, and would always be the first to come greet me when I entered the rabbitat, even if I was carrying something scaaaary like a bale of hay. The control he had over the other rabbits from the start was impressive to watch. If one was out of line or fighting with another bunny, a quick nip from Herman would put a stop to it. He was a calm and benevolent leader.

However, someone, I never did find out who, decided he wasn’t comfortable with Herman in that role. I came out one day and Herman didn’t greet me, so I knew something was wrong. I found him sitting forlornly in a corner facing the wall, with a bloody ear and a few other bites. He went right to the vets and it was determined that he’d be fine, but he had to stay inside while his injuries healed, and when he was brought back out to the rabbitat he was not received as warmly as I’d hoped. He spent most of his time alone and eventually got chomped again and brought back in. He’s still inside today, but I’m thinking of trying him out there one more time, along with a large group of other buns who’ve been sick recently and need to go back out. (I’ve had tons more success moving larger groups out there at once, especially when the move coincides with layout changes and lots of new goodies in the rabbitat, which will be happening when we finish winterizing the rabbitat on the next nice day.)

I’m hopeful and optimistic that Herman will be allowed back in. No bunny has stepped up to really replace him. They have their head buns, but not one true leader as far as I can tell. And he is bored inside. The dynamic in the rabbitat has changed as well, since we discovered the boys who missed being neutered and had them done. So Herman may get his chance to lead again. I hope he will!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home